1. Buy Organic. Food Certified U. S. ORGANIC is not allowed to be genetically engineered.
Products may not be individually tested specifically for GMOs but they are not supposed to be genetically engineered.
2. Buy food verified by the Non-GMO Project. The Non-GMO Project conducts ongoing laboratory testing for this purpose. If you have a smart phone, download the Non-GMO Project app for up-to-date information about specific foods. www.nongmoproject.org.
3. Avoid these foods if they are not organic:
-- SOY in any form, including oil, meat substitutes, etc.
-- CORN as oil, sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, and countless other uses. (See Non-GMO Project for up-to-date product information). NOTE that blue corn, popcorn and some other specialty corn products are not GMO at this time. However some sweet corn is GMO and unfortunately is not labeled as such, so buy organic.
-- CANOLA Virtually all conventional (non-organic) Canola Oil is GMO.
-- COTTON as in cottonseed oil.
-- SUGAR MAY OR MAY NOT BE GMO. Cane sugar is NOT GMO so look for "made with 100% cane sugar on labels. However, increasingly "sugar" refers to BEET sugar and virtually all beet sugar is GMO. (Organic beet sugar is rarely if ever found in stores.)
4. In addition to the above "commodity crops" widely used as ingredients in processed foods, other foods may be genetically modified as well. These include:
-- About 15% of conventional (non-organic) zucchini and crook-necked squash.
-- Virtually all conventional papaya grown in Hawaii are genetically engineered.
-- Non-Organic apples of certain varieties engineered to prevent browning. These include Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Fuji, which either are or soon will be on the market, sometimes in "ready to eat" bags of sliced apples sold in fast food outlets.
5. The Aqua-Bounty GMO SALMON has not yet been brought to market.
6. Certain additives, sweeteners and hormones used in foods are genetically engineered.
If in doubt, call the telephone numbers on product labels and ask if the product contains any ingredients that are genetically engineered. Companies pay attention to this and you will get the information you need.